Pages

Jan 2, 2012

"Roamin' Through Romans"... Part 1

Hey 'followers'...

Join me as I follow Paul, who is following Christ...

~~ ROMANS 1 ~~
We will start out looking at verses 1-12 today... (verses quoted below are taken from THE MESSAGE version found online at http://www.biblegateway.com.) I always use BibleGateway.Com for my online Bible.
"1 I, Paul, am a devoted slave of Jesus Christ on assignment, authorized as an apostle to proclaim God's words and acts. I write this letter to all the believers in Rome, God's friends. 2-7 The sacred writings contain preliminary reports by the prophets on God's Son. His descent from David roots him in history; his unique identity as Son of God was shown by the Spirit when Jesus was raised from the dead, setting him apart as the Messiah, our Master. Through him we received both the generous gift of his life and the urgent task of passing it on to others who receive it by entering into obedient trust in Jesus. You are who you are through this gift and call of Jesus Christ!
8-12  I thank God through Jesus for every one of you. That's first. People everywhere keep telling me about your lives of faith, and every time I hear them, I thank him. And God, whom I so love to worship and serve by spreading the good news of his Son—the Message!—knows that every time I think of you in my prayers, which is practically all the time, I ask him to clear the way for me to come and see you. The longer this waiting goes on, the deeper the ache. I so want to be there to deliver God's gift in person and watch you grow stronger right before my eyes! But don't think I'm not expecting to get something out of this, too! You have as much to give me as I do to you."

Verses 1-7 ~~ These verses are kind of an introduction made by Paul, explaining who he is, and what he is called to do. Do WE know who we are in Christ, and what He has called us to do? That is a great way to start out the New Year - finding out who you are in Christ! Paul is called to be an APOSTLE. This office is one of the Five-Fold Ministry positions held in the church body. (found in Ephesians 4 - Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher & Preacher) All of these are important in the body, but NOT all believers are called to the Office of the specific ministry. Yet all of us have been given gifts to use in these areas of ministry within the body. (See 1 Corinthians 12) Which one(s) do you see yourself as having? Which one(s) do you see as the one God has called you to? Do they match up? You may have the opportunity to be used in one or all areas, but you should have one main calling (not always the OFFICE of the specific ministry above). I myself am more of a TEACHER. I enjoy teaching, training, discipling, equipping the younger generations. But the evangelism characteristics can come out in me when I desire to share the Good News, as on mission trips, or missions in our own city.

Paul himself, is an Apostle, which by definition is; one who pioneers an important movement, cause or belief, as in a church or a ministry. He was called to go around the world sharing the Good News of Jesus, and 'starting' new churches for His (Jesus') Name's sake.

A little background on Paul, for those that may not know, is that he was a persecutor of Christians. He would kill those who believed in the God of the Jews. God took him, and changed him, giving him 'new vision' into the truth found in God. (read an important part of his story here, in Acts 9.) So he can truly speak from example, using his own important testimony to the Jews & Gentiles in Rome. The people he once 'roamed' with can actually see the 'change' and witness it for themselves. As he was once one who 'breathed out murderous threats', and is now one who is 'proclaiming God's words and acts'.

Do you share YOUR testimony, do you think it's important? I used to think my 'testimony' of coming to know Christ wasn't as important as those who have had the major turn-around like Paul for example; those that were drunkards, sexually immoral, murderers, thieves, etc... that found Christ and turned their lives around for the good. I came to know Jesus as a little child, through Sunday School and my family at a Pentecostal church, and have been in several different churches/denominations since my young beginnings. Coming to know God as a young child has great benefits, as when I went to a United church & later a Baptist church as a child & tween I learned the historical true Bible stories that helped to form who I am today. However, I did not truly experience God until I once again was a part of the Pentecostal church (where I had my beginnings). There I found God Himself, I learned who He was, who Holy Spirit was, and became water baptized and baptized in the Spirit. These changes made a BIG difference... it was like my 'mini road to Damascus'... God gave me 'new vision' (not as physical as Paul's changes but spiritually). I learned who I could become through GOD, His Son, and Holy Spirit. I knew ALL the stories, and could quote Scripture after Scripture, but until I truly 'experienced' who He was, I wasn't complete! (I am not totally complete yet of course, as we all grow day by day.) I have been through minor ups and downs, and although I haven't physically murdered anyone, I know I have 'murdered' with my words. I was once 'blind' to the things of Christ, which are now able to be seen through revelation, wisdom and knowledge of the Bible and the truths found within. I have been involved in situations that have taken me out of the 'obedience' of the Commandments, however I also overcame many temptations & possibly immoral predicaments. Through Christ's blood and the grace & mercy of God, and the consuming power of Holy Spirit, I can be made a 'NEW' creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17) I continue to grow day by day, and am very excited to see where God will lead me, and what He can and will do for me, in me, and most importantly through me. I am an example of God's faithfulness through the years... and that is a GREAT testimony! What about YOU? Everyone has a 'story'... share yours with someone today!

Paul introduces the TRUTH of God's Word, in which Jesus is the Son of God and our Messiah. He then explains why he is doing what he is doing. "Through him we received both the generous gift of his life and the urgent task of passing it on to others who receive it by entering into obedient trust in Jesus. You are who you are through this gift and call of Jesus Christ!" It is our job as well to receive the gift, yet then pass it on to others. We are who we are through JESUS. Several years ago, in my old church we did a Children's Program during March Break, 'Go M.A.D.' (Make a Difference), and the first theme lesson always sticks in my head and my heart, and I use it in my teaching lessons today. It was 'IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOU MUST FIRST KNOW JESUS!' I can't remember much else from that week of lessons or activities, but this always stuck in my head.

Verses 8-12 ~~ "I thank God through Jesus for every one of you. That's first."
How often do we greet our Christian (or non-christian) friends like this? What would they do or say if we did? What would their reaction be? How would they then respond to us? How often do we TRULY thank God through Jesus for those that are our family, friends, co-workers, or just those that we come in contact with? Paul was direct in saying this statement, to ALL that he was speaking to. The 'first' thing he did was to thank God for those He had sent into Paul's path. So right now, I do thank the Lord for those of you who are reading this, whom God has sent in my path. Whether you got here through my Facebook link, or through a search... whether you know me, or you don't... whether you like me or you don't... I thank God through Jesus for each and everyone of you. May you be blessed in your comings and your goings!

"...knows that every time I think of you in my prayers, which is practically all the time..."
WOW! What a powerful statement to make... how often do we tell someone we are praying for them, and really we may only pray once, or just every so often when we think of them? 'Practically all the time'... WOW! Sometimes when I am thinking of someone, I 'talk to God' in my spirit for them, I ask God to bless them. Just by thinking of them, means that God has put them into my head & heart for a reason. But I do need to remember to be in SINCERE prayer for certain requests that have come forth. (We ALL need to work on this I am sure.)

"I so want to be there to deliver God's gift in person and watch you grow stronger right before my eyes! But don't think I'm not expecting to get something out of this, too! You have as much to give me as I do to you." This totally works for my devotional message to you... although I may not even know you, or know that you are reading this, it would be cool to see your spiritual development and growth right before my eyes as well. There are times when as a TEACHER, I have been able to see the growth and development in my 'students' as I was there physically to see them grow and develop physically as well as spiritually... and that is a major blessing to watch the positive changes unfold before your eyes, and see a living example of the faithfulness of God knowing that I had a small part to play in their growth (whether it be through planting the seed, watering it, or even harvesting it). But then you also see the ones whom have sat under your teaching, who have chosen to go the opposite way, and your heart breaks for them. PRAY! I also think of the ones whom I have had a small part in teaching (whether through church or babysitting, or daycare situations) and wonder sometimes how far they have come. It's the times when you don't get to see how people have turned out, and you MUST REMEMBER to pray for those as well. Pray that someone will come along to 'water' or even 'harvest' that seed that was planted. Sometimes we are called just to 'plant' into someones' lives... but we shouldn't just stop there, we should be continually praying that someone will come along to 'weed' (if necessary), 'water', 'harvest' and 'keep' them. Once they have been harvested, they need someone to keep up with the 'upkeep'... encouragement and such so that they then may be 'reproduced', in turn planting more GOOD seeds.


So in closing... I pray that the GOOD seeds that have been planted in this message today (and in the past) will come forth to fruition. Someone will be there to 'water', (or this was a little bit of water), weed, harvest and keep YOU until the coming again of our Lord! :)


GOD BLESS YOU as you go forth this NEW YEAR in the blessings of God!

Click HERE to continue the journey... to Part 2! (opens in new window)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Search GOD'S WORD for yourself... GET IN THA' WORD!

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Click to HEAR the message today...

Christian Quotes

Get out there and DANCE...

Dancing in the Rain
Get your Twitter to look nice with aCustom Twitter Backgrounds

It's the MOST WONDERFUL time of the YEAR... Celebrating Jesus' birth!