Pages

Mar 27, 2010

When I speak Your Name...

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

WOW! The name of JESUS... it actually means 'he saves', and we cannot be saved by anyone else. Matthew 1:21 "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[a] because he will save his people from their sins."

[This (Acts 4:12) was one of the first verses that I memorized as a young Christian, and it has become one of my favourite Bible Verses. I have had a frame with the verse in it since I was a little girl. It is now down in my rec room with two others that Mark has had, and are his favourites as well.]

Well, when we speak His name (in reverance & prayer) a lot can happen for us in the physical and in the spiritual. EVERYthing has to bow to the name of Jesus. (Philippians 2:9-11 - "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.") There is no other name among men that has that power. Unfortunately, that's why the name of Jesus is also used not in reverance or prayer. People know that name has power, and when they curse, we do not hear them say "Oh Buddha", or "Oh Joseph Smith". Those religious leaders have all passed on, and unless those folks lived for the name of Jesus, then they are eternally dead, they have NO power today. Jesus however is eternally alive, and has ALL power, and He gives us the same gift. It is indeed a gift that we need to choose to open.

In the Bible, Jesus or God is referred to the "I AM" or "YAHWEH"! The first time this is mentioned is with Moses in Exodus 3, in the Burning Bush encounter. Verse 14 states, "God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "" Yahweh is translated, 'I am who I am'. God is it, basically. According to Mark Littleton, in his book, 'The Bible Bathroom Book' he says, "[God] used the words to claim, 'I am the one who exists above and beyond all others. I am the one who exists on his own: I am not dependent on any other.'" Jesus himself, uses the words "I am..." quite a few times in the New Testament. (Click on the verse to take you to Biblegateway.com to read the verse). Jesus says to you today, 'I am...'
1. John 4:25&26 -- '...the Messiah.'
2. John 6:35 & John 6:51-- '...the Bread of Life.'
3. John 8:12 -- '...the Light of the world.'
4. John 8:56-58 -- '...the I am.'
5. John 10:7 -- '...the Gate or the Door.'
6. John 10:11-15 -- '...the Good Shepherd.'
7. John 11:25-27 -- '...the Resurrection & the Life.'
8. John 13:13 -- '...Teacher & Lord.'
9. John 14:6 -- '...the Way, the Truth & the Life.'
10. John 15:1-13 -- '...the Vine.'
11. Revelation 22:13 -- '...the Alpha & Omega, the First & the Last, the Beginning & the End.'

What promises these verses lead to... Jesus IS... that's all I need to know. Whatever I need, He is.

Psalm 148:13 -- "Let them praise the name of the LORD, for His name alone is exalted; His splendor is above the earth and the heavens."

Jesus has given us the same authority that the Father gave to Him, but again we need to choose to utilize it in our daily lives. There is power and authority in the NAME of JESUS.

Luke 20:1-8 -- (Click verse to read the Scriptures from Biblegateway.com) In these verses, Jesus' authority was questioned by chief priests, teachers of the law, & elders. Jesus knew that these men were coming on authority of themselves, not of the temple or God (or else they would have known from which His authority came). He answered them with a question of his own, proving their motives for coming. The Word says, "if...", the men had to stop and think about their response. Either response would get them into trouble of some kind, so they replied, "We don't know where it was from". Jesus knew their thoughts and motives replied in all truth, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things", for He knew that they just weren't going to tell him the answer due to circumstances and consequences. WOW! What a thought is this, the church leaders arguing with Jesus about who He in fact is, and under whose authority He is working. So true is some of the church today...

Having the authority of the Father, has given us the power to act in someone else's name... and it's not just any name as we have mentioned. Colossians 3:17 says, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." With God giving us the authority to use the name of Jesus, we also have to give Him the glory in all that we do. Too many times we find ourselves praying for healing for example, and the person on the receiving end thanks us for the healing. We NEED to right then and there thank the Lord for the healing. We can accept thanks for being an obedient vessel which allowed God to work through them, or to be one that God could use, but we cannot nor should ever take credit for the healing. The ability to pray using the 'name of Jesus' is not to be taken lightly. There is a matter of the 'heart' for it to be used properly and with the right authority. The attitude of our heart is the main way that we are going to be used by God. Just because one prays 'In Jesus' Name...' doesn't mean what was prayed is going to come to fulfillment. As has been said by many preacher, teacher or speaker, "in Jesus' name" is not a magic chant or a magic potion to be used in tough times. We need to pray in His will for the fulfillment to come about. There are two main scriptures, one in John 14 and one in 1 John 5 you can read below.

John 14:9-14--"Jesus answered: 'Don't you know me, {insert your name here}, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.' "

1 John 5:13-15--"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

There are a lot of promises in the Bible stating things that God will do. However, in most cases there is an "If you..." before or after them. Too many of us want to slide on the coat-tails of other Christians or Christians who have gone before us. We have to discover the truth of Jesus, His life, His love & His miracles for ourselves. We need to do our part in the equation for the complete fulfillment of His promises. One thing we know is that God is faithful & true, so we know in our knower that He WILL do. In fact, in most cases, He will do 'exceeding abundantly more'. (Ephesians 3:20 KJV)

For more information you can check out, http://www.learnthebible.org/praying-in-the-name-of-jesus.html or just Google "in Jesus' name" or "power in the name of Jesus".

I close with the song "When I Speak Your Name" by GATEWAY WORSHIP... written by Elizabeth Clark / Klaus Kuehn


I pray that you will begin to use the AUTHORITY given to you to glorify God in all that you think, say and do! But first remember you have to get your heart right, and have the right heart attitude seeking after the Will of the Father, not your own. Be blessed as you walk in the power of His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search GOD'S WORD for yourself... GET IN THA' WORD!

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Click to HEAR the message today...

Christian Quotes

Get out there and DANCE...

Dancing in the Rain
Get your Twitter to look nice with aCustom Twitter Backgrounds

It's the MOST WONDERFUL time of the YEAR... Celebrating Jesus' birth!