Pages

Jan 7, 2017

What's Your #oneword For 2017?

So little known knowledge to me, is this #oneword thing that goes around each New Year... I guess this year is the first time I paid attention to it. Obviously I have seen the word 'Resolutions' many times, and settle with myself to not make 'resolutions' but to be 'resolute' (since one of my amazing husband's messages at church years ago). Resolute is to be 'admirably purposeful, determined; unwavering; marked by firm determination; bold; steady; faithful, persevering, unshakable, unwavering, etc...' (Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com)

One of my friends posted a word, 'intentional', and that struck a chord... but obviously not wanting to choose the same word, I went to Pinterest for some inspiration. One of the words that I found while searching Pinterest was 'mindfulness' and that sounded really good until I searched the meaning and came up with more things about Buddha and Buddhism, so I chose to stay away from that word, but still keep the thought of being mindful of things around me. Not so much the meditation part of the Buddhist way, but to focus my thoughts on being 'intentional' or 'purposeful'.  Now that was a good word too, as I try to do things for a 'purpose'. I had other words come to mind, and eventually they all lead back to that word, 'resolute'. So I believe in 2017, God is wanting me to be serious about being 'resolute'. While on Pinterest I found these amazing verses found in Scripture. I have read them many times, but have mostly stopped in the verses before it, regarding youth, and not looking down on the youth, etc because I teach and train the younger generations in my church. But the verses found in 1 Timothy 4:15-16 rang true with me. I have read and re-read the verses regarding teaching being important as we will be judged more strictly

"Give your complete attention to these matters Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you." 1 Timothy 4:15-16 NLT

"Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation." 1 Timothy 4:15-16 The Message

Some words I went through...

Mindfulness -- NOPE... we don't want to associate with Buddha/Meditation in that way.
Diligence --Perseverance
Steadfast -- Stand your ground, resolute
Purposeful -- intentional
Watchfulness -- alert and vigilent
Discernment - the act of discerning. acuteness of judgement and understanding. 'Discerning' - to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; recognize or apprehend; to distinguish mentally; recognize as distinct or different; discriminate
Resolute -- firmly resolved or determined; set in purpose or opinion; characterized by firmness and determination, as the temper, spirit, actions, etc. Synonyms: firm, steadfast, fixed, earnest, unwavering, undaunted, intentional, purposeful, bold, persistent, relentless, uncompromising, unshakable...  'admirably purposeful, determined; unwavering; marked by firm determination; bold; steady; faithful, persevering, unshakable, unwavering, etc...'

So we had a prayer night at the church to start off the New Year, and I had my 9 year old niece and nephew with me. They were getting a little bored just sitting in church praying, so they pulled out the Bible from the pew in front of them, and I told them that God could show them a verse that they could understand, or that would speak to them. Our Pastor had shared a verse about being unwavering, and my niece found a verse in Hebrews 2:1-4

A Warning against Drifting Away

So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished. So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak? And God confirmed the message by giving signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit whenever he chose.
So this went with my #oneword that I had chosen earlier, yet also with the New Year message. We must listen to the truth we have heard, and as a teacher I must teach the truth. We must stay true to the truth... and the Truth is Jesus. We must not waver in our thoughts, nor waver in the truth. We have taught our Junior Youth group about Absolute Truth, and that it's opposite to the world's view of truth. They think just because they make it legal, it's now right or truth. But according to 1 Timothy, we need to stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you.Jesus is the Truth, and the Jesus is the only way to the Father, and our salvation rests in Him alone.I look forward to 2017 being 'resolute' and standing firm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search GOD'S WORD for yourself... GET IN THA' WORD!

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Click to HEAR the message today...

Christian Quotes

Get out there and DANCE...

Dancing in the Rain
Get your Twitter to look nice with aCustom Twitter Backgrounds

It's the MOST WONDERFUL time of the YEAR... Celebrating Jesus' birth!