Pages

Oct 2, 2010

Spread your wings & fly...

 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

So, because I am playing catch-up on my blogs, I just completed a post here regarding 'Then Sings My Soul Saturdays', a fun blog meme that I joined a while back. I haven't really kept up with it though, so yesterday and today I thought I would. I chose the song, 'COCOON' by Jack Johnson. (You can read the lyrics and hear the song on my other blog site.) So as I was thinking about what to write for the song, a cool devotional came out of it. THANK YOU LORD! So I thought I would share it here too!

This song is really about a tough break-up between a couple, which does seem rather sad. Yet the man (as it is a male-Jack Johnson, that's singing) wants the woman to see him as more of a cocoon than a regret. A cocoon is a place where growth (sometimes undesired) happens, and something great comes out of it in the end. A regret on the other hand is a thing that has happened to you, that you wish didn't happen.


Life is made up of all kinds of choices, and the choice to date is an option facing many people young and old. Not all relationships have fairy-tale endings, whether they be dating or just friendship, accquaintance, co-workers, etc. Every relationship that people are involved in will most likely have some type of conflict come, because we are just that human people. However, we do have the choice also to see our obstacles, problems or conflicts as a time to whine, complain & 'wish it didn't happen' (regret) or a time for growth (cocoon). I have been meditating on this thought, as I have been reminded during Sunday School & Sermon/Teachings at church, as well as living it out in my own life. Paraphrasing a quote from the teachings, and from a status line I have posted on my FB page, 'STOP LOOKING AT YOUR PROBLEMS AS OBSTACLES, LOOK AT THEM AS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GOD TO DO SOMETHING BIG IN YOUR LIFE!'

A cocoon itself, is something that requires 'patience & waiting'.
Caterpillar - a time of growth
Chrysalis - a time of change
Butterfly or Moth - a time of rebirth & flight

Taking another look at this idea, we found a huge green caterpillar (which we were told was a Cecropia Moth Caterpillar) at our daycare on a Friday in August. So we thought it would be cool to keep him inside our aquarium for the weekend, so that we could show our other teachers & friends (who didn't get to see him). I didn't have my camera with me on Friday, so because my daycare is also in my church, I was going to get a picture of him on Sunday. So on Sunday when I went to see him in the aquarium I couldn't find him anywhere. I opened the lid carefully, and there was already a brown cocoon made and attached to the top of the lid. WOW! God is amazing! Since I couldn't get pictures of the caterpillar (and I didn't think to take on of the cocoon) I found some online to post here.



So, because we had studied some info from the internet, my co-worker decided to take our friend home and keep it in cold storage for the winter, and then we will release him in the spring. I am so excited to see the transformation. The kids were all a part of it, so they are excited as well. (Assuming we don't forget all about him) =)


This is what he/she will look like when he/she emerges and spreads her wings...


He/She will be able to take flight and soar after many months 'trapped' in his/her cocoon.
(I will try to remember to post pictures if we can get any, and link them here.)


Anyway, every thing that may come our way, whether positive or a challenge/conflict is a time where we can grow our character. God is busy at work in us, and as with the caterpillar, it's not a one-day event. It takes time for our real character to emerge, and soar beyond our wildest dreams. God wants you to become the M.E. (Maximum Effectiveness) He has created you to be. He wants you to live a life to the MAX!

So I pray that you will receive these words of instruction and encouragement, and let God 'challenge, grow, change & give you wings'! I know I am excited to see the transformation of the Cecropia Moth, but I am even more encouraged and excited about my own transformation, and you should be too (about yours)!

Be blessed & Be a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search GOD'S WORD for yourself... GET IN THA' WORD!

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Click to HEAR the message today...

Christian Quotes

Get out there and DANCE...

Dancing in the Rain
Get your Twitter to look nice with aCustom Twitter Backgrounds

It's the MOST WONDERFUL time of the YEAR... Celebrating Jesus' birth!